Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Attic at Select Lounge

Select Lounge 
415 N. Paca St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
http://www.selectlounge.com/

The Attic made it’s open mic début in Baltimore in December 2010 at Select Lounge. Yours truly was in the building to kill two birds with one stone by checking out one of Bmore’s newest hot spots and see what The Attic was all about.  It was evident when I walked through the door why people have been talking about Select. The venue accentuates it’s imitate and sexy atmosphere with beautiful hardwood floors, soothing orange lighting, plush leather seats and flat screen TVs.  I was pleasantly surprised with my initial impression of Select, that is until I tried to get a drink at the bar.

As I took my seat at granite top bar, I perused the drink menu and noticed it only included bottle prices for champagne and liquor but offered wine by the glass or bottle.  After being overlooked for roughly ten minutes, I asked the bartender for the cocktail menu and was informed they don’t have one.  I found it a bit odd for a lounge that doesn’t serve food not have a cocktail menu since, in the absence of food, cocktails should be their specialty.  Sometimes I think my assumptions will be the death of me.  At any rate, I decided to get a glass of Malbec and was told they don’t carry it. In my most non-annoyed voice I asked, “Then why is it listed on the drink menu” and pointed it out to the bartender who apparently had no clue what Malbec was or if it was something the lounge normally carries. I settled for a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, much to my disappointment it was severed in a miniature my first wine starter glass.  At almost $10 a glass, I expected a full body wine glass. The best thing about the bar for me that night was the discovery of purse hooks.   At this point I was just ready for the show to begin.

The show started a little late but nothing too CPTish and was hosted by Beny Blaq and Komplex.  The duo proved to be extremely entertaining, as did the rest of the DC based talent that graced the mic.  DC was definitely in the house to represent and support their own.  DJ Lil Mic was also in the building and did his thing as usual. The feature for the evening was Archie The Messenger & Lyrical The Lyricist.  You never know if you will be enlightened, amused, or seduced when these two touch the mic but you will always be entertained and walk away with a greater appreciation for spoken word. The venue in combination with the stylish crowd, music and performances gave the event a very welcoming feel and I look forward to the next show.

For a listing of The Attic dates in Baltimore and DC and other upcoming events, please visit http://benyblaqentertainment.com/site/?page_id=6

Venue Rating: 3

Event Rating: 3 ½

Parking: Street and Valet

Price range: $10 and up

Biggest Disappointment: Wait at the bar. It literally took 20mins for the gentleman next to me to get served and the place was nowhere near capacity. 

Good Venue For: Private parties, mixers, happy hours, sporting events, drinks with friends, networking, open mics

Good Event For: Dates, singles, artists

Bad Venue For: Clubing, I was told maximum capacity is 500 but anything over 200 and your going to be packed in there like sardines.

Randomness:  No cocktail menu, junior wine glasses, and limited selection of wines

Suggestions for management: Please hire some experienced mixologists that know how to split the bar, interact with patrons, and help you develop a one of a kind drink menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment