Saturday, July 30, 2011

First Fridays at The Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture

I decided to take in a little culture this past weekend at The Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture.  They host a special after hours event the first Friday of every month and their new exhibit, “Material Girls”, peaked my curiosity and. This month’s feature was the On Kee Jazz Band.  If you’ve never been to the museum, it really is a lovely facility and a great venue for a party.  Though, I do wonder why a museum has so much open space. At any rate, I arrived around 7ish and made my way up the stunning glass banister staircase to the second level.  There I was greeted by a lite fare buffet of chicken, pasta and salad and a beverage station that offered red and white wines, beer and soft drinks.

The “Material Girls” exhibit showcases the work of eight female artists (Maya Freelon Asante, Chakaia Booker, Sonya Clark, Torkwase Dyson, Maren Hassinger, Martha Jackson Jarvis, Joyce J. Scott and Renee Stout) and is visual arts at its best.  Sculptures are constructed from a variety of conventional and non-conventional materials including rubber tires, combs, glass, hair, wood, and beads just to name a few.  My favorite piece was a scale size replication of a room in one artist’s house complete with hard wood floors, chairs, accessories, homage to past lovers, family photos and paintings.  There was even a journal on the coffee table.  Once I was done perusing the exhibit, I swung past the beverage station for a glass of wine and made my way to the second floor balcony for the jazz show.  The band livened the atmosphere with their timing, original melodies, classic pieces, and amazing saxophone player. I had never heard of the On Kee Jazz Band before Friday night, but I promise you I’ll never forget them. So if you’re looking to add a little culture, music and wine (my personal favorite) to your life, I suggest making the Lewis museum your destination of choice.   

The Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture
830 E. Pratt StreetBaltimore, MD 21202
443-263-1800
http://www.africanamericanculture.org/


Parking: $6 with validation, scarce street parking

Cost: $20 (includes buffet and drinks)

Crowd: Predominantly African Americans 35 and over

Good for:  Dates, music and art lovers

Bad for: Dancing

Suggestions for management:  It would be nice to have a small space for dancing.  I understand that it’s a museum but music can be an interactive art form.

Clips of the Band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc4BlR2G7as

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYye0DIA1qM

No comments:

Post a Comment